Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fall 2011


You've all wondered what ever happened to me, right?
Nothing, actually. I've just been living here, doing the things that one normally does; picking grapes, drinking wine, visiting with friends, working on the house and the grounds, visiting Provence, entertaining visiting friends from the U.S. Impossible to remember everything that has gone on since the last post.

I did discover that my house (or possibly the medieval house beneath it) was built against the outer medieval wall of the village. I've done some digging outside and about 3 feet down discovered large lintel stones and what looks like the beginning of a stairway. Been too busy to keep digging, but will be very interested to see if I can uncover portions of the old village wall.

Spring was very welcome, particularly the Wisteria blooming alongside the Iris. I've posted a photo of an amazing wisteria, which is about 50-70 feet long, very ancient, down near the river. It gets cold enough here for there to be a real spring, with the land springing back to life. I got my vegetable garden by the river planted somewhat late, and did minimal things: courgettes, eggplant, tomatoes (photo). I was very busy with renovations to the house and the garden that the vegetable garden was somewhat neglected. However, the garden surrounding the house looks very good, considering there was nothing there to start with. I had a number of weed trees removed and replanted with well-adapted shrubs like sage and rockrose. I also planted two citrus in a warm corner. I've included a photo of the corner of my entry terrace.

Along came summer, and my new roof. I've enjoyed working with my French contractor (known as a maçon here), and the roof looks great. I've posted a photo of the bridge from the road over to the attic -- many wheelbarrow trips have been made over it I walk over it, but not with a wheelbarrow, as it is ten feet at least above the ground. There is also a photo of me helping unload. The windows are in on the sides, most interesting watching how they remove the stones and prop the walls up during the process. The room will be wonderful when its finished, probably some time next spring. The view is stunning.

I've made a number of new friends with people who have vacation homes here - Dutch, German, Irish, Scottish, English. As in San Diego, I now have keys to several neighbors houses. The Germans and Dutch tend to speak good English, so its easy to get to know them. A new couple arrived from England in the spring, and have rented a house for a year. They have become friends also, so I am not without English-speaking opportunities here. The French people are friendly and generous, and when my French improves I'm sure I will get to know more of them better.

The Caldwell family, Dave, Becki and young Nick, were here in June. Becki and Nick were here for 3 weeks and Dave was able to get away from work for a week toward the end. I'm proud to say that I did not allow Dave to do one single handyman thing! I really enjoyed Nick's view of life here, seeing it through his young eyes. I'm hoping they will make it an annual event.

Pat, who many of you know, was here for a couple of months in the late summer. We made a trip to Provence, but mostly did day things in the area. With work ongoing on the house I didn't want to be away for too long.

The big news is that I'm returning to San Diego for a visit during the month of December. To be honest, I would rather just stay here, but I have business to conduct there. I will, of course, be delighted to see my many friends but would rather see them here. I've grown to love this gorgeous landscape, and its people, and don't see myself leaving here any time soon. I hope to see many of you in December!

No comments:

Post a Comment