Thursday, May 28, 2009

Behind in my Blog








I'm so far behind on this blog I think I should start over. Margaret has been here and gone home already, and Ellen and Jean Pierre were here at the same time for a couple of days. We went to some vide greniers (like yard sales, but the whole village). I've been to several here and have gotten some nice collectible antique enamelware very cheaply, and a couple of good marble topped nightstands for E50 each, one of which is probably from the 1850's, the other 1900 to 1920, both in good condition. There were no nightstands in the house, so I was very glad to find them.

I've done a lot of checking out of various villages, thinking of where I should go next as I only have this house until the end of June. That may prove to be a problem, as July and August are high season down here, and most of the furnished short term places are being rented by the week for large sums. Today (Thursday) I spent some time in Cessenon sur Orb having the oil changed in my car and getting the new license plates for this department, and think it would be a good village to stay in and perhaps househunt. Its right on the river, and has several bars and restaurants, 3 boulangeries, and any other commerce that you would need on a daily basis. I think I would prefer to be in a village with plenty of commerce, as its good to be able to go out for dinner or a drink without having to drive somewhere. Roquebrun, where I am now, is a very attractive village and is very popular, but its small and there aren't many houses for sale. Its also very steep and hilly, and I'm kinda bored with everything being uphill and downhill. Because its so popular, it has 3 restaurants, a bar, a boulangerie & a grocery. There are not enough people who actually live here year round (I think around 700) to support that many businesses, but people drive up here from nearby towns for the day to swim in the river, go to the Mediterranean Garden, or just kind of hang out.

Its 9:40 p.m. right now, and still not dark. It doesn't get fully dark until about 10:00, and we are still 3 weeks away from the longest day. I like it fine, but it really changes dinner time and bed time. I've been eating lunch out quite a bit, and they are as big as dinner, so I don't tend to eat at night anyway.

The photos don't show up on the blog they way I load them, for some reason. They are all mixed up and bunched together, I think to fix it I would have to go in and edit the HTML, which I don't feel like doing right now. The photos are ones I took today in Cessenon: the cemetery gates and a detail of the heads on it, and a WWI memorial plaque in enamel which I hadn't noticed before. Also a fountain in town with two spouts that is spring fed and people still get water from it. The two of houses are here in Roquebrun. The other photo needs no explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment