Wednesday, October 13, 2021

 BEES! BEE NESTS! BUT WHAT BEES?


We have quite a few different wild bee species here on the property, one of which is called "wool carder bees" because they scrape the hairs from fuzzy plants to line their nests. The plant in this photo is Lamb's Ears, one of their favorites, and we have a lot of it in many places in the garden. Starting last year I noticed mounds of what appear to be shredded up lamb's ears, and upon investigation I discovered they were full of bees. We are having a trench dug for the fiber optic internet cable, and this nest is right where the trench is going. There are a couple of houses on this property, and I may not be able to convince other residents to hold off. Siting it elsewhere is not an option. If these bees will move on soon, we might delay a bit, but if they will overwinter we can't wait that long.



I can't convince them to sit very still so I can photograph them. They are very docile and not interested at all in attacking or stinging me.





This last photo is of the nest that I tried to move a week or so ago, there are some bees there but it isn't as large as it was before I disturbed it. When I did, I saw some nests that looked like photos on the internet of carder bees. Groups of round nests, not holes in the ground which are ivy bee nests. So I think these are carder bees, but if anyone knows please tell me!




1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to have seen this nest of bumblebees! I would imagine that they are raising the new queens now and the nest will shortly be abandoned. Provence bees might have a longer season, I do not know. Amelia

    ReplyDelete